4.04.2009

Food, Glorious Food

I love good food, and much to my family's dismay this includes lots of vegetables. Anything that isn't corn, peas, or potatoes is considered "exotic" (Randy's term) and is rejected outright--although with time I've convinced the kids that artichokes (artichokes?! yes, artichokes) are not only fun to eat but yummy as well.

Every once in a while, usually around the end of winter, I get really strong cravings for lots and lots of vegetables. So a few days ago, I went to the store and bought a bunch of vegetables for dinner. I decided to sautee them in olive oil with salt and pepper to accompany the grilled teriyaki chicken and rice. A sort of deconstructed stir-fry, if you will.



Isn't that pretty?

Randy worked late that night and my stepkids were at their other house, so it was just Carter and me for dinner. Carter ate like a trooper! I was so surprised! He ate most of the veggies, except for the squash. We have a rule in our house that you have to take at least one bite of everything, and so he agreed to eat one piece of squash.

He took the bite, chewed carefully and thoughtfully, then looked at me and said calmly, "Mom, I hate squash."

OK, I'll give that one to him. Squash is definitely an acquired taste. I was just grateful that he ate! Maybe there's hope that when it comes to vegetables, he will take after me rather than his father...

4 comments:

Michele said...

Mmmmm looks good! I used to HATE all veggies, but since I started losing weight I have changed my eating habits and have found I actually like things that I thought I hated! So don't give up on him, even when he gets to be 33 he may realize he actually likes some of those veggies he once hated! :-)

Kirsty said...

Oh that looks goooood baby. You can cook for me anytime! LOL at your child's candour. It was good of him to give it a shot though.

Matt & Andrea said...

I am impressed not only that you love your veggies, but that you cooked a dinner that used THREE pans!

Kiirstin said...

Carter...I hate squash too.