4.10.2009

Just In Time For Easter


I found an article at Slate Magazine today that I totally loved. It brought back all the good times I had as an LDS missionary in Texas, where there's a different church on every corner and they have all perfected the craft of turning a phrase--and then posting those phrases on the signs outside their churches.

I loved reading all the church signs. Some of them were absolutely hilarious. Some were really really clever. And some of them were really profound. This one made me think of the youth in our church stake and their preparations for the upcoming cultural celebration in honor of the dedication of the Draper and Oquirrh Mountain temples here in Utah.

Then there are those crazy pentecostals. I LOVE those guys! This sign says, "Are you sick? Come in faith and the Lord Jesus will cure you." Not that I don't believe that's true, I just think the way pentecostal preachers go about doing the curing can be a little sketchy.

And finally, Easter is coming this Sunday. It's a time for us to reflect on the life of Christ and His atonement. We have hope only through Him, and I think He is what we should focus on most--even when we may not feel like we're worth it.


(You can see the entire article and slide show here)

2 comments:

Jen Davis said...

I remember one from Texas City that said "When you go against the grain of God, you get splinters." Words at true today as they were 10 years ago. I miss you Orrcita

Kirsty said...

The final one sums up my talk that I am to give this Sunday so nicely. Perhaps I just should put it on a sandwich board, march up to the podium, stand there in silence for a minute or two and sit back down. No one would forget that in a hurry. Awesome. I think that is what I shall do.

LOL at the Pentecostal's sketchy healing methods. You kill me.

Lengthy reply to your snobbishness on my blog btw. :P You can snob (snub?) me anytime baby.