11.11.2008

Walmart, I hate you.

An open letter to Walmart containing the five reasons I do now and will always HATE shopping in your stupid stores, and why I have decided to boycott you.

1--YOU HAVE CRAPPY CUSTOMER SERVICE.
I don't recall ever being in a Walmart without having to wait at least 5-10 minutes in line to check out. Usually, it's more like 20. And then there's your pharmacy. Today, I "stopped by" to get a prescription. I was in pain from a back injury, I had a grumpy three-year-old in need of a nap, and I had better things to do than wait in line. But I had the bad luck of "stopping by" at 1:15, right before the ENTIRE pharmacy and ALL the staff (of 10 PEOPLE. 10!) went to lunch together. "Oh, you can pick this up at 2:40," said the bleary-eyed automaton of an employee. I spent a wasted hour and a half in your hell-hole of a store, and guess what? My prescription wasn't done at 2:40. Big surprise. Just all in a day's work for you guys. I will be transferring that prescription to Target (a store you could learn a lot from) as soon as I can.

2--YOU HAVE CRAPPY MERCHANDISE.
I know it's cheap, but I will gladly pay a little more money for a quality product. But since that will never happen in your stores, you won't be getting any more of my money--ever.

3--YOUR STORES HAVE ALL THE WARMTH OF A LAB IN ANTARCTICA.
Walking into a Walmart is like walking into a nightmare. The lighting makes me feel like I'm in an alternate universe of zombies where everything is fake and cold. Why would I want to spend any time there?

4--I DON'T NEED EXERCISE, I JUST NEED TO RETURN MY CART
I understand you're trying to be cost effective. But it makes me angry to have to hike a quarter mile round trip just to put my cart in one of the cart return corrals in your never-ending parking lots. You also force me to make a choice: leave my child in the car and hope he'll be ok, since I lose sight of my car while I'm hiking away, or take him with me in the rain/snow/wind and in the midst of crazed drivers in search of a screaming deal. Just fork out the cash!!! How much can a cart return cost??

5--TAKE YOUR CHRISTMAS MUZAK AND SHOVE IT
We, your (ex) customers are not stupid. We know the reason you start playing Christmas muzak the day after Halloween is not to be cheery. It is to try to fool us into believing Christmas is right around the corner, and therefore we need to BUY MORE!! The result is that we are already Christmas-ed out by the first week of December. Well, I'm not that easy. I reserve the right to enjoy the holiday--and therefore will not shop in your stores.

So, farewell Walmart. I sincerely hope I never see the inside of one of your stores again. (Just saying that makes me happy.)

6 comments:

Emily said...

Stephanie,
I found you (or at least your blog)! I didn't know you had a son! He is so cute, and I love the name Carter. I can't agree with you more about the Wal-mart thing. I HATE them!!!! People always say oh it's cheaper at Wal-Mart. Yes, it may be cheaper, but so is the quality. I'd prefer to pay a little more. Anyway, it's so good to see a bit of you and your family. Feel free to check out my blog camnem.blogspot.com.
Emily (Nye)

Emily said...

Yes, it will be so fun to keep in touch. I new you had two step kids, but I didn't know you had a baby. (or actually toddler now) You must be so busy!!! I can't believe your mother hasn't kept me better updated. Just kidding. She is always so good to send us a Christmas card. So I guess Kirsten lives around you too. Tell her hello. If I ever make it down that way, I would love to see you. Although, since my parents left South Jordan 3 years ago and Brent and his wife moved from Sandy shortly after, I hardly ever get down that way. But if I do, I'll definately let you know. Talk to you later.

amyorr said...

I was laughing the entire time reading this. It is SO true. Whenever I have to go to Wal-mart (which is more often than I like) Camden says.."We don't like Wal-mart huh mom. We like Target." Every time we pull into the store I say "I hate Wal-mart." I guess getting you guys a Wal-mart gift card for Christman is out huh? haha

Jen Davis said...

Let it out Steph. Use your words and give 'em hell. I love a quality Orricta rant!

Lindsay Jane said...

Sarch. I am so glad you started a blog - I laughed out loud reading your posts. I hate Wal-Mart with a passion and avoid stepping foot in those devil stores as much as possible. Like, I haven't been in one in a year. You can and should boycott them, your life will be enriched because of it.

Kirsty said...

Apart from the fact that they have unethical labour policies and I feel like an evil person if I shop there, it really is always the most appalling experience in every way, isn't it?

I so agree with the "walking into a nightmare" experience. I really feel like I am having an out of body (and not in a good way) when I go there. We swore off Walmart about 5 years ago although I won't say there has not been the occasional lapse on Aaron's part I have only been there 2x in that time, both times against my will in order to get the best deal for church functions because dontcha know you can't be a good Mormon if you don't shop at Walmart?

I remember going there once with you, and you holding up the little laser price scanner thing at me and I was convinced I was going to go blind. Good times!