5.26.2009

Marriage is what brings us together...today.

Today, the California Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8.

This is where my dad/mom/family are cringing over what I--the most liberal member of our family--could possibly have to say about Prop 8.

I'm not going to lie. I struggled with Prop 8 and the rabid frenzy with which some conservative members of the LDS church (and other churches, too) used it as a way to villify people who live with same-sex attraction. I thought the way people on both sides of the issue treated each other was horrendous. I was particularly disappointed when Tom Hanks called me and all the members of my church "un-American." Seriously, Tom?!

Here's the heart of the matter for me: I believe in a certain ideal of what a marriage and family should be, and I have a right to that ideal. However, many others don't have the same belief. There are gay people who have built a life and a family together, and they should be able to take care of their families in the same ways everyone else is allowed to. (Can you imagine a frightened child in the hospital who is not allowed to have a visit from one of their parents? Can you imagine that same child being sent to foster care instead of the care of their other parent after the biological parent dies?)

And, guess what? The LDS church feels the same way. From a news release in November: "The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility toward gays and lesbians. Even more, the Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches."

I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, and therefore I am pleased with the California Supreme Court decision. But we (is anyone from our JOKE of a Utah Legislature listening?? Anyone heard of the Common Ground Initiative?) also need to make sure that families--and especially children--who don't fall under that category are taken care of, too.

5 comments:

Lindsay Jane said...

I agree 100%.

Megan B. said...

I know I am just a tad more liberal than you, but I still really appreciate that there are some progressive members out there like you that realize it is not just a black and white situation with a simple answer.

Hmachine said...

Hey Steph. D is going to be in SLC tonight. He was hoping to stop by and say hi to your family, but we don't have a phone number or contact info. e-mail me at darin_heather6@hotmail.com with your info and I'll pass it on to D. :) I hope he gets to say hello! :)

Have a GREAT day.

Kirsty said...

Nicely said kiddo. Sadly it is not a nice, neat black and white situation and we really need to remember that and treat each other with respect, civility. What is "un-American" (in my humble foreign opinion), are generalizations on the basis of misunderstanding. That has happened on both sides and it has been really hard to watch and experience. First and foremost, check the facts, and ALL of the facts before you pass judgment. Better yet, don't.

What confuses me is how the Mormon church is suddenly responsible for the outcome of a democratic voting process, where the large majority of voters weren't even Mormon. If people were that profoundly influenced/brain-washed by what the Mormon church says to do, I don't think we'd have to bother sending all those missionaries out all the time. It's not like anyone was bribed or threatened.

Campaigning took place on both sides and the Mormons were far fro the only people pushing for a Yes on Prop 8. Just do a google search, you'll see.

While I am deeply sympathetic to the concerns of the homosexual community, I am irritated that while "defending" the rights of some, we are happy to trample on the rights of others. It's disgustingly ironic.

Sorry for the essay. Should have just stuck with "ditto" ;)

Kiirstin said...

I don't cringe. i agree.