6.15.2009

Possibilities.

Those of you who know me well know that I did a two-year stint at the hoosegow lovingly referred to as Ricks College, now BYU-Idaho. Three things saved me from complete and utter apostasy from my religion during my time there--Prof. Nielsen, a few great friends (Nat, Cam, Kirsty, Jane, Kat), and my job as a radio announcer at the NPR/Classical station on campus, KRIC/KBYI, "The Voice of the Ricks College Campus." (OK, OK, maybe my family played a part in my continued activity in the church, too. Thanks for putting up with me, Mom and Dad!)

I LOVED my job on the radio. And I think I was pretty good at it, too, which is always nice. For these reasons, I have--perhaps foolishly--applied to be a part-time weekend news anchor/reporter on KSL Newsradio 102.7 here in Salt Lake.

And they have--perhaps also foolishly--asked me to come in for an interview on Wednesday.*

Nervous? Yes. Out of my league? Probably. Unsure if this is even what I want to do right now? Totally. Worried about how it will impact my family? Uh, yeah! But I thought I had to at least give it a shot.

See, there's this feeling I get when I'm supposed to do something. It usually comes when I am looking for an answer to a problem I'm wrestling with and then, unexpectedly, some weird solution that I'd never even dreamed of falls out of the blue and hits me up side the head. It's just so improbable, impossible even, that I know I'm meant to go for it. That's what happened when I applied to work at KRIC, and 15 years later it's happened again.

It may turn out that they don't want me. Or that I don't want them. Or that I need to go through this process for some completely unknown reason. Either way, it can't hurt to at least try.

So, ready or not, here we go. Stay tuned.

*UPDATE: They called me today and changed the interview to Monday June 22.

8 comments:

Lindsay Jane said...

Steph - that is AWESOME. Congratulations on being brave enough to try something new and a little scary. I can't wait to hear you on the radio!

Hmachine said...

ooh, you're going to be famous. . . and we know you!!! :) We are sooo cool. . oh wait. I mean, you are sooo cool!!! :) Good luck.

Michele said...

Good luck!!! It sounds like something you would really like and that is very important!

Tara said...

Wahoo! I am so excited that you get to interview. That is awesome. I can't wait to hear how it goes. And you, me, and Linds need to do that dinner we had planned before. What about this Weds?

MEREDITH said...

That is Awesome, you would be SOOOOOOOOOOO great on the Radio... Hope it goes well, keep us all informed... Again I think that is AWESOME!!!!

Jen Davis said...

Stephanie Orr - The voice of Salt Lake City. You need a really clever "Good Night and Good Luck" like catchphrase.

amyorr said...

Good luck with your interview! We would LOVE a visit from you! you are welcome anytime. You should come up for the 4th.

Emily said...

Good luck! I listen to KSL radio all the time, even occasionally on weekends. That would be crazy to actually know the person on the other end. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.