5.22.2009

Milestone

Carter has a big day coming up next week. He will be turning four. For months--ok, pretty much since he turned three--he's been looking forward to this birthday and telling everyone who will listen that he's "almost four."

He hasn't had a "friend" birthday party before, so I decided this was the year to take the plunge. A month or two ago, he was convinced that every day was the day of his party. This went on for about a week, much to my horror, as I had to explain to everyone he talked to (the stylist at Sports Clips, the cashier at Target, random kids in the grocery store) that today was actually not his birthday, that we didn't have 19 kids coming over to party later on, and that no, I'm sorry, we don't invite strangers to our birthday parties.

I am trying to get invitations out this weekend, so this morning I sat down with Carter to make a list of everyone he wants to invite to his party. This is what he came up with:

Katie (the little girl across the street)
Cole (a friend from daycare)
Cecily (Cole's older sister--she's like 12)
Daddy (obviously)
Me (glad I even made the list)
Carter (I LOVE that he saw the need to make sure his own name is on the list.)
"My Backpack" (It's new. He filled it with Hot Wheels and his stuffed pelican from Grandma and has carried it everywhere since I bought it for him two days ago.)
Lauren...and Amber, Amy, Jake, Austin and Steve(the ENTIRE family next door)
Carter (very worried about being left out)
"The Girls" (all of the Young Women I teach at church. There are like 25 of them.)
Dominick (friend from daycare)
Cooper (friend from daycare)
Kimmie (Carter's babysitter, mom of Cole and Cecily. Her name is actually Kim, but he's called her Kimmie ever since he started going there.)
Sister Sperry and Sister Gliattli (his primary teachers from church.)
Brendan and Camryn (his brother and sister)

I was so proud of myself for keeping a straight face during the list-making. But even more than that, I was so happy that Carter loves and feels loved by so many people (and things. I'm talking to you, Backpack). However, I can pretty much guarantee that only five of those people on the list are getting invites since that's all I think I can manage this first time around.

PS--Since this is my first kids' birthday party, does anyone have any ideas for games?

3 comments:

Aimee said...

That is hilarious! I love the way they think. . . backpack is obviously an important choice. He is so adorable. Happy Birthday Carter! :)

Hmachine said...

I LOVE the way little kids think. It's awesome!!!! I have to say that I have NO creative streak for b-day games. I usually pull out the kid pool and let the kids have friends come and play in/on the pool/tramp/swings, etc. Then have cake and presents. I like to keep it simple, but the kids have a blast. :) We'll watch for pictures!!!! Happy Birthday Carter!!! 4 year olds ROCK!

Kirsty said...

He is so, so cute!! Not sure if I'm too late in the game but my advice is balls, bubbles,balloons anything involving water and let them run wild. It works best for this age.

PS: An little shout-out to you on my blog today.