3.23.2009

Gimme a Tempurpedic and some OC, STAT!

I am not a person who lives with a lot of pain. I'm lucky to be pretty healthy and don't do a lot of dumb things that could hurt me. Until today.

Last Thursday, I hurt my back a little while lifting my 40-pound three-year-old. It wasn't awful, but it was painful enough for me to bow out of exercise with my friends on Friday. I felt much better over the weekend, so when the alarm went off at 4:40 this morning, I was ready for a workout.

Halfway through the workout, I was laying on the floor of our church gym, realizing that maybe I should not have exercised this morning either. The pain and pressure increased steadily in my lower back, and by the time Randy left for work around 7:30 I knew I was in serious trouble.

I have never been in such terrible constant pain in my entire life--and that includes the 17 hours of labor and AWFUL three weeks of recovery I suffered through to bring Carter into the world. I have been taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol steadily since 6am as well as alternating heat and ice, and I can still barely move.

Until today, I have never desired controlled substances. The thirty pills of percoset the doctor prescribed me after Carter was born lasted me THREE YEARS. But I will not lie--if someone came to my door and offered me a Lortab or some Oxycontin, I would consider selling my soul to get it (just for a second.)

A glimpse into our morning:

-After Carter woke up and went potty this morning, I remembered that all his clean underpants were in the dryer. So when he brought me his pajama pants, I leaned over the side of the bed and just helped him slip them on. Yup--my kid went commando till about 2:00 this afternoon. And I'm not ashamed to admit it.

-I started a movie for him and went and laid in bed, where Carter would find me periodically, kiss my back, pet my cheeks, and say "Ohhhh, poor thing!" I so so so wish his cuteness could cure me!

-I had to email my professors and tell them I couldn't come to class because I injured my back. Do you know how old--and lame--that makes me feel?

-Rather than stand in the kitchen to make lunch, I put jackets over our pajamas and we (slowly) climbed into the car to find food. At that point, sitting in the heated leather seats of my car and hitting the drive-thru with my greasy hair and no make-up was much more preferable than the excrutiating pain of getting the peanut butter out of the cupboard.

-I finally rooted out some underwear for Carter by slowly lowering myself down to a kneeling position by the dryer and then carefully hauling myself up again by gripping the washing machine. Time frame: 5 minutes. TO GET UNDERWEAR OUT OF THE DRYER.

-The only comfortable position I can find is either on my side in bed with a pillow between my knees or on my back with my legs bent, knees next to my ears and arms resting above my head. FYI--these positions are not conducive to doing anything but wallowing in my own misery.

Hopefully my back will forgive me for being so stupid and will improve itself by tomorrow. However, until then, I am open to any remedies which may help. Suggestions, anyone?

5 comments:

Kirsty said...

Oh my WORD woman! Get thee to a Dr. stat. It sounds like a bulging disk or something equally horrid and if they can't do something to help at least they can give you the good drugs. You really must go seek some attention. That sounds horrific. I'm so sorry. And dude, why didn't you tell your kid to go get his undies from the dryer himself? I am sure he would have welcomed the challenge and opportunity to serve, he sounds like a compassionate soul.
Gentle hugs (and then slaps to your head until you go to the Dr)

Michele said...

I do agree with the doctor thing. They can hook you up with decent but legal drugs! lol

About 1 1/2 years ago, my son and I had gotten home from wherever and it was raining and thunder and lightening. Well he is DEATHLY afraid of it and when I told him to run to the front door he freaked out and ran back into me. I tripped over him and we both landed smack on the driveway. It was not pretty, we were soaked and wounded! lol I was fine for the most part the first day, but the next day at work I could barely walk. I ended up going to the Drs walk in clinic and after x-rays and such he told me I had to stay in bed for 3 days (we were leaving to go to Utah on vacation in 5 days....nice) and hooked me up with some meds. After the 3 days I was good enough to pack and fly to Utah.

So I agree, go see the Dr and stay in bed for 3 days. (Your hubby might need to hook you up with some subway or frozen meals so you can make it through the next couple of days without having to stand to make meals). Good luck.

Stephanie said...

Well, about the doctor thing--hubby is a Physician Assistant, but can't prescribe me the good stuff since we're related. He also just switched jobs, and we are not insured right now (though we will be in about a week) which is why I'm looking for anything inexpensive that I can do at home. Thanks for your input and condolences, though! Kirsty, I'm feeling the gentle hugs and Michele, I'm going to have to chat with hubby about pampering me.....:-)

Hmachine said...

Ohhh NO. Back issues are SOOO HARD!!! and Hurtful! :( Hang in there.

MEREDITH said...

Well I hope you get feeling better, one time my sister hurt her back lifting her little guy and she seriously walked around hunched over for like 3 weeks!!! Kind of funny right? OK well get some rest and I hope it goes away SOON... PS 4:30 in the morning you are NUTS!!!!