I really enjoy living in our neighborhood, but one thing Carter has missed out on is man time. The only kids his age on our street are girls. He loves to play with them and they love to play with him, but I've been looking for a little boy his age in our neighborhood so we could invite him over for a playdate.
A few months ago, I met a family with a little boy named W. They are the cutest family and even though W. is a year younger than Carter, the two boys have already started their own mutual adoration society. So today, W. came over to play. In fact, they are playing Hyperdash in the next room as I type this.
The funny thing is that even though they've played together often at church functions and such, this is their first actual "playdate." Because of this, when W. first came over he was a little shy. As in, didn't say much and only shrugged his shoulders when I addressed him directly.
That's when I pulled out the Froot Loops and cut up an apple. We all know that sharing food with a friend is a social activity, not designed to feed any hunger except the kind that craves affection and fun. So, the ice slowly began to melt.
And that's when I overheard this conversation.
W: "My house is better than your house. We keep our mixer in the pantry."
Carter: "Do you have a back yard?"
W: "We have two yards."
Carter: "You have two back yards?"
W: "No, only one back yard and one front yard."
[Pause]
Carter: "HEY!! We're the same! We have one back yard and one front yard, too!"
[Both giggle.]
W: "We're going to get the Transformers movie."
Carter: "We have the Big Chance of Meatballs Movie for a minute." (Sidenote: This is Carter's name for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, which we rented from the Redbox for a day TWO WEEKS AGO. And yet he still quotes almost every line.) It's the one with all the food."
[Pause]
Carter: "Row, row, row your boat and drive it up the sea! Merry, merry, merry, merry, life is like a lollipop."
W: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"
Carter: "Lollipop."
W: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!"
Carter: "Lollipop."
W: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"
[Pause]
W: "Sometimes we burp."
Carter: "Yeah."
And then they were friends for life.
Boys are SO FUNNY.
17 years ago
3 comments:
ROFL we keep the mixer in the pantry. Who knew this was the status symbol of today? ;)
Thank you for sharing the faithful recording of this conversation.
"A Big chance of meatballs" was especially delightful :D :D
Oh man, just wait until they realize farts are really funny. THAT is a fun stage...wait, I think that stage last a really long time. Great.
FYI, boys don't have "playdates". Sometimes I burp too. Weird.
Kids just think differently than us(obviously). The other day while we were throwing the football Mason told me he loves bedtime because when he goes to bed he doesn't have to stand or do anything with his hands".
Hmm....I guess he's right.
Post a Comment