I showed up at KSL Broadcast House appropriately early. I should know by now that interviewers usually show up fashionably late. But at about 10:20, I was met by this very nice (but very accomplished and intimidating) woman.

Sheryl Worsley is the KSL news director, and she is the one who interviewed me. She very deftly wove small talk with interview questions, so much so that I now know that she is a mother of two daughters who love the Twilight series, which we agree is not well written and somewhat formulaic. (Sorry, Megan.) We also spoke about news stories that have come out of Cottonwood Heights and how print journalism and public radio--the strong points on my resume--are very different from commercial news radio. She tried very hard to make that point hit home with me. It did.
I then had to do a writing test--take three print news stories, organize them in order of importance and glean a 20-second news story out of them, in less than 10 minutes. I am pretty sure I failed miserably. My strength is quality, not speed. (Tom would agree with that wholeheartedly.)
All in all, I think I made a good impression but I would be surprised if they offered me the job. And I am OK with that. The hours would be really hard to manage with my family and other responsibilities (7:30am to 1:30pm on Saturdays and Sundays). But I'm really glad I took a chance to see what would happen. It was a positive experience and it helped me practice my job skills.
Now I'm back to square one: do I try to help out our family financially or stay home with Carter and be the best Mom I can be (which I would actually prefer)? Still looking for the answer.
2 comments:
Stay home with your kid! We have limped along financially for years and I although our financial situation is ever precarious or if you are going to be real about it, downright disastrous, somehow we always do ok (thank you Tithing). Honestly the years go by at the speed of light and I know I would have regretted spending any of them away from my kids. Already I regret not spending more QUALITY time with them. I see it this way. You won't regret staying home full time-this I guarantee you, you may regret not staying home-not necessarily but you may, good chance that you would. Seriously-WARP SPEED.
Congrats on the good interview, all interviews are valuable experience as they say.
LOL, don't we love interviews!!!I'm sure you did great though. My advice is do whatever you feel best about and you won't regret anything. :) We can't wait to hear the results of the interview. You're awesome!
Post a Comment