The immigration debate.
Ahhh, what an intense debate it has become, and the feelings that go along with it are equally as intense. It's sad, however, that the debate has become less about what we can do to correct our immigration laws and how to help the millions of immigrants that live and work (and YES, PAY TAXES) here, and more about targeting "illegals," mostly hispanics, and using racism as a basis for expelling "unwanted" members of our society.
Did you know that neo-nazi groups have taken to patrolling our border? Doesn't that make you even a little nervous? (I won't even get started on the Tea Party.)
Did you hear about "The List" of 1,300 supposed illegal immigrants (many whose names are on the list say they are here legally), ALL LATINOS, which was compiled by at least two Utah state workers? They were trusted with confidential information, but chose to break the law in the name of their racist opinions instead.
Let me be clear: I am not in favor of letting in everyone who wants to cross our borders. I firmly believe that our immigration laws are flawed and in need of a major overhaul. I also believe that our borders need to be tightened.
However, I DO NOT believe in harassment and hatred. I DO NOT believe that all illegal immigrants are criminals. I DO NOT believe that we should "kick 'em all out!" as others would like.
I believe that we should care for PEOPLE, no matter where they come from. I believe that we should understand everyone's story before we rush to judge. I believe that mercy and charity are the foundation of Christianity, unlike many of the "Christians" who sit in judgement in their luxurious homes (by the world's standards) with everything they could possibly need and decide who does and who does not have the right to try to provide those same basic needs for those they love. I am completely convinced that most people who think that immigrants should just "go home" don't truly understand what it's like in those countries. If their situations were reversed, I guarantee they would be clamoring for a chance to come to the USA, even if they had to come here illegally.
Most of all, I decry the use of race as a basis for determining if someone is "illegal" or not. It gives hateful people an excuse to act on their most deplorable beliefs.
I read this article in the Salt Lake Tribune today, and I agree with it 100%.
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." Edmund Burke
17 years ago
4 comments:
AMEN!
D and I had a sad experience with immigration laws/employees... WHATEVER, .. it's a long story, but in the end, a mom was deported and died, a dad was deported and died, and 3 kids were left in the US without any means of taking care of themselves or providing for themselves. I wish things would change. I wish a lot of things would change......... mostly, I wish each situation could be looked at and determined what is best for the families and people involved. Sad, sad!
Thank you!
Hey stranger! Remember me? I just found your blog and wanted to say hi, looks like you're doing great!
Post a Comment